Pages

IntoUniversity: Much more than a place of learning

Guest blog by Joanna Moore, former intern at IU Nottingham East 


In August I returned from a month-long trip to America, finally ready to get my first ‘grown-up’ job. I had graduated from my first degree at the University of Nottingham in 2011 but I’d only just decided what I wanted to spend my life doing: helping young people to live better lives. I wasn’t sure exactly what form this career would take, but I was optimistic.

During my job search, I stumbled upon an advertisement for an internship with IntoUniversity. I wasn’t looking for an internship - I’d done plenty of those before – but, reading the charity’s website, I knew we shared the same mission. Just a few days later, after succeeding in the application process, I began my training at Nottingham East.

A tentative beginning

As a shy introvert, I found the first few weeks of my internship challenging. Phoning parents was scary. Asking children if they needed help made me nervous. The prospect of running carousel activities during FOCUS weeks terrified me. Speaking in front of whole classes was impossible.

But I wasn’t the only shy one. I soon noticed that I was drawn to the quieter children I met. When I noticed a girl sitting on her own, looking nervous, I wanted her to believe in herself and to feel comfortable.

There was one girl in particular who seemed shy. I’ll call her Robyn. I made it my job to pay extra attention to Robyn, to encourage her, to smile at her, and to praise her when she did well. I wanted her to become more confident about both her abilities and her position at IntoUniversity.

Support from the team

As part of my placement, I was given a lot of support by my team leader, Laura Barton. During one of our early conversations, I shared my fears about my lack of confidence and Laura suggested we set goals for the remainder of my internship.

As the weeks went by, I worked towards the little challenges Laura set me. First I observed the other staff teaching. Then I team taught. Then I lead one carousel activity per FOCUS week. Eventually I lead all four carousel activities during FOCUS weeks. I was empowered by running my own project – setting up our centre’s three student councils.

While I was pleased with my progress, the internship confirmed that my talents lie in creativity and organisation rather than in teaching. I had been complimented on these skills before but it wasn’t until my colleagues gave me feedback on my progress with setting up our student councils that I began to believe these compliments.

A world of difference

By the end of my placement, I was able to approach students without getting nervous. I made announcements to a room full of Academic Support students without worrying. I went to the Christmas Training Day in London and got involved in the activities with staff from other centres without being shy. By the end of my placement, I was far more confident than when I began.

And whilst my internship confirmed that teaching isn’t my forté, it also helped me find my calling. Since I left IntoUniversity I’ve been using my creativity to build a brand, Twisted Sleeve, to help shy girls become more confident. I launched Twisted Sleeve as a blog last week and plan to grow my expertise and eventually develop confidence courses, coaching, and camps. I’ve been overwhelmed by all the emails I’ve had from girls just like me and Robyn. There are lots of shy girls out there and I’m making it my job to help them.

Talking of Robyn, during my last Academic Support session she didn’t sit on her own; she sat with another child, laughing, chatting away, and smiling. She no longer looked uncomfortable. She looked confident.

See, IntoUniversity is so much more than a place of learning. Providing children from disadvantaged backgrounds with education and resources is not just about helping them get higher grades and better opportunities. It’s about providing safe spaces for them to explore their abilities and interests, develop relationships, and build trust. It’s about equipping them with the skills and confidence they need to be able to take advantage of those opportunities.


And that’s exactly what IntoUniversity did for me and Robyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment